Monday, January 26, 2009

Excited to be making Stefana now .... Plus, a wire wrap w/ 2 kinds of Gold



Stefana are a Greek Orthodox wedding tradition symbol showing the connection and unity between a newly married couple. They consist of two crown / tiara-like hoops connected by a ribbon. I recently was commissioned through Etsy by a couple to create their Stefana. What an honor! They wanted a organic looking greenish color scheme. After photographing my different gemstones in shades of green, i ran a few color combinations by them, but my first choice (and the only one i really wanted to do, really) was Emerald, Watermelon Tourmaline, Labradorite, and Peridot. They liked this best too! So I created the Stefana for them out of these stones, Sterling Silver, and Organza ribbon. . I've sent her photos and they really like them! I put on the finishing touches tonight, packed them up, and they're ready to go out in tomorrow's mail. It felt very special to be contributing to their ceremony and I really hope I get the opportunity to make Stefana again!

And, something else i have wanted to do for a while:
i made a wrap making extensive use of gold
Actually, I made a 5 metal / 5 stone wrap:
http://mandala.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3790128

" This unusual wrap includes 5 different stones held by 5 different metals.

a 9.5 Carat Herkimer Diamond
a 5 Carat Moldavite
10.5 Carat Peridot
13 Carat Black Tourmaline
24 Carat Labradorite

in Rose Gold, Yellow Gold, Sterling Silver, Copper, and Bronze
All in a one of a kind formation

I'd like to note that the photos aren't really showing quite how nice the Herkimer Diamond or the Labradorite really are! "

This wrap also makes use of wrapping into the wrap a prong set stone ( this piece i actually did in my metalsmithing class but i could definately do this at home too) , another thing i've wanted to incorporate for a while

And, i made a Custom Grandmother's necklace, Sterling Silver, and heart shaped, incorporating Jasper, Garnet, Amethyst, Citrine, and Topaz



No comments:

Post a Comment